Friday, November 02, 2007

Lefaga's wormy adventure..take2

the first time I tried adding 5 images..and the internet window crashed on me:(..so there may be not pics this time..but go to this web site to see lotSSS of pics:
see pics from other group79 volunteers:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/samoa79

A shout out to allmy friends in Astoria and ultimate frisbee peeps..you should come at play with at our training village: Lalomauga...hi hi hi!!
Lots of pics this time..hopefully they are displaying correctly.

Yea to my mom!!!! I just got the package she sent me.. there's a pic of the computer tools, shirt of Astoria bridge crossing, and an article of the race from the front page of the Daily Astorian. Thank you thank you thank you mom. I love you;)

We just got back from what will most likely be our permanent sites. We were there for two days for on the job training, but it was mostly meeting people and checking out our living situations and some possibilities. I'm working in a village called Savaia in the district of Lefaga. It's Lefaga Secondary school. (I almost forgot and put in an "ng." In Samoan the "g" makes an "ng" sound. It's BEAUTIFUL...right on the beach, with waves that are just like the Oregon coast! Oka Oka means "oh my gosh!" which is about how I feel about my site. I will be teaching computer studies, and maybe some phyics and math...but there is some cool stuff we can do with the 12 computers we have at the school, and the teens really seem to like the computers. I've already seen a beautiful sunset, and two shooting stars. This is a rural village on the south west side of the island of Upolu, about an hours bus ride from the "big" city of Apia. Sweet scenes, cool people, LOTS of rain. Lighting thunder too, hopefully no tsunamis or cyclones.
I woke up at 2:30am both days to go with the other people and many of the village people to snag a small worm that appears in the ocean only two times a year. It seems to be a delicacy here. I tasted it...a little salty. I didn't really wait to have it wiggle in my mouth. It's called Palolo. it reminded me of digging clams with my mom..EARLY!

There are pictures from my family at our training village. The one of a boy with umbrella and basket is Ipella. ..he's cool and helps me a lot, and I help him with english and he helps me with Samoan.

There are a few pictures from the Ava ceremony to welcome the volunteers from PC groups 1 and 2...a long time ago! Some fire dancing (that was soooo cool!!) and some current PC volunteers dancing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home