Tuesday, September 11, 2007

info #6

“Being perceived as well off” is something I may not be used to, will have to adjust.
I have to learn about a “lifestyle that reduces risk”…something I don’t think about much right now.

There are influences of new Zealand and Australia in Samoa and these administrative systems will affect things. I may be using Australian and/or new Zealand oriented curricula. I wonder if that is any different than curriculum in the US. Some people may not be interested in what I’m trying to do (I’ve already experienced this!). however, what may appear to be apathy on the part of some co-workers may actually be embarrassment from not fully understanding the concepts or rationale in a certain task.

You may be wondering why I’m doing this crazy thing, giving up so much to go to a strange place. There are a few reasons. Is it worth it to sacrifice so much? I think it is. I want to learn Samoan. I want to learn about another culture, to be part of the culture as much as I can. I want to make friends with some people that are different than I am…we are all human beings at the core level.

Samoa is a country that benefits from family sending money to them from abroad. People may buy things they would not ordinarily be able to afford—like computers, flat screen tvs, iPods, iPhones, and other fancy gadgets.

Peace Corps has been around a while, and from what I can gather, they have a pretty good training system set up. It has a commitment to “institutionalize quality training”. I like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home