Tuesday, September 11, 2007

info #3

Samoa has a culture based on respect, and family life revolves around respect, love, and reciprocity. Traditional male and female roles are displayed.
We will be expected to show respect to all elders, Peace Corps related or otherwise.
“Learning samoan” will be essential. I have not started working on it yet.
PC volunteers have a high standing in the community, so we will be expected to “understand cultural protocols” at work at social activities.
Each school and village will have its own rules of conduct.

“A lot is said by the way you dress.”
The dress for both men and women are lava lavas—long, wraparound skirts, also called sarongs. Men wear a button shirt, and women wear a blouse. Samoa will be hot and probably humid, so lightweight, quickly drying clothing is important.One thing I was surprised to read is that I should not have anyone of the opposite sex stay overnight at my place. If they want to visit me, it’s best if the neighbors make the arrangements. I have a feeling that neighbors will be very important. Remember, everyone knows everyone else’s business. Fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home