Saturday, February 14, 2009

sliding rock's long name peels the onion



in the pics: some views of Apia, the main city...a big building (I think a hotel??...having a store really means the family can afford to build things, like this two story palagi style house...a view of the ocean and an old boat.


12/01
It’s December 1 with 82 degrees and 72% humidity with a nice westernly (well I cant really tell which way) south pacific breeze. I just bought three prizes for my school’s prize giving on Wednesday this week. I wonder why the soft-cover planners are more expensive than the hardcover planners. I think a hardcover planner is more elegant.

I went to the sliding rock place yesterday with Aaron, a German boy who I’m helping with computers and maybe English. He’s lived here all his life. That’s not something I could imagine myself doing. I gave him one of my helmets because I have two and he has none—and rides his bike all over town. He works at an electronics repair shop—fixing everything from TVs, stereos, VCRs, Microwaves—I think even cell phones. He knows more about the practical side of electronics and circuits that I remember from my five years of college doing electrical engineering. There are five kids in his family, and no dad, and no car. That would be tough for me. I have no car now, but also no family yet. I guess they manage, as does everyone else. Aaron says his family has land in Samoa, and wants to build a house, but they don’t have enough money. He says he will own the business someday. He seems like a quick learner. This morning I helped him find instructions to make a tent on the internet.


Let’s talk about wounds, cuts, owies, open skin on the feet. You don’t want them, because your healthy feet are very important; very hard to heal when always being bumped or rubbed against.

Samoans have long names…because of the titles?
Mulitalo Siafausa Seali’imalietoa Siafausa Vui
To’omata Alapati Poese To’omata
Seupule Afutoto T. Onofiatele leaoaniu Tuita’asauali’i
My samoan father: Tualatamalelagi Peniamina (Benjamin)

Some samoan:
Share with our extended family…fa’asoa I le aiga to’atele
Church building dedication…fa’aulu fa’alega o le falesa
Family tree…la’au o le aiga/ tuaga le aiga
What day you come?...3 ways to say in samoan
O le a le aso e toe fo’I mai ai oe?
O le a le aso e toe sau ai oe?
E toe sau foi afea?
Many words, same meaning…tele upu, e tutusa uiga

I was interested in my samoan family’s EXTENDED family, which I learned includes 5 families branching from my father, with 50+ people included.

Samoans Use information immediately….me=store information for “later”…just what I need to be faced with for two years.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your document was so detailed and taught me a lot by just reading and looking at your pictures. I am American Samoan and was born and raised in Seattle, WA. I have never seen or been to SAMOA and I feel I got the closest to that through your documentation!! I really appreciate the insight and to grasp what back at home looks like through your experiences. You did an amazing job and thank you for all that you do!

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home