Saturday, November 29, 2008

new president watches bananas





in the pics...
writingtatoosJuniorglen: two of my year9 students who like to dray tattoos on themselves.
Bopsamoan: my year nine students really liked to draw tattoos on themselves. Here is one example. One of the year 12 students told me they were being cheecky.
taoleumu: making the umu. I like to try and help. my family laughs. It’s all good.


11/5
First day of a new Presidency..i guess I’m curious to see what Obama will do in the first 100 days. Ha ha ha! No internet, no TV (only on the weekends), and I rarely see a newspaper. Life by the ocean, in Samoa.i feel total disconnection from events of the outside world. There is an Australian radio station that I get on my MP3 player…
If you happen to be reading this and feel so inclined, please send me articles about Obama.

“I’m dreaming of a white Christams” says Bing Crosby. So do I, but right now I’m sweating in my room at school. There is no breeze. There is no rain. It’s hot.

National Tsunami drill today? Well, not in our village. I didn’t see anyone running today. It is only 9:10pm, so about three more hours before 11/5 is over. We have had much preparation for a tsunami: run to higher ground. If time, go to consolidation point.

I’m interested personal development. Here is a bit from a PD newsletter I like



Creating Change
Purposeful Wanderings
A Monthly Newsletter for Clients and Friends of The Road Not Taken

“The future is unknown. Potentially world-changing (transformative)
experiences happen all the time. We miss most of them because we’re too busy trying to create them.
Change simply happens. The most powerful tools you have, then, are patience, to wait for changes; awareness, to notice when things change; acceptance, that your life will unfold in a way that serves you; and trust, in your own power of creative expression.”

Some of MY thoughts:
patience--many times difficult, especially if you come with a type A personality. It can be hard with teaching--allowing the student more time to answer. It can be hard with community groups, not to lead, but let other people come with an answer.

awareness--of yourself, of what is happening around you. Deeper than just observation, awareness is comprehending the observations you take in. It can be very energy draining because it requires much concentration.

acceptance--of what is happening. not trying to fight it. Let go of the command and control mindset you may have preinstalled. Things will be just fine.

trust--that you are here for a very good reason. You have power and abilities. Go use them to the service of others. You wanted this. The time is now. Yes you can. ha hah ha. rock on!


11/4
Something different and powerful cometh this way. Something different is taking shape. Can you feel it? I was at the US Embassy in Apia for 5 hours to see Obama get elected president of the United States! I want to believe the hype is what it really seems, but his acceptance speech was cool. I wonder if he’ll get to place any judges. It was a moving afternoon. Even the cynical part of me was touched. It was a very exciting moment. My tears said “bomb-rush the eyes”. A commentator made a comment after his acceptance speech about how calm, almost somber he was, as if he knew the task ahead of him “this only gives us the opportunity for the change we seek.” Yes we can. I could feel the energy crackling through the tv.


11/3
So here I sit this fine morning at the veggie market, watching the banana bunches arrive in the back of pickup (pikiupu) trucks. Christmas must be coming…I hear Jingle Bells remixed to a dance beat. You’re right. Today is Monday and I’m still in town. I have finished teaching classes. This week is School C exams for year 12 students. I’m also staying in town for the US election action tomorrow—there is a party at the US embassy. I got good sleep last night, but I’m still yawning for some reason.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home