Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Democratic candidate eats history with his beans


in the pics: Thanksgiving! two peace corps friends and a BIG plate of food. yum
also, my principal (seated) and vice principal I think this was prize giving day.






10/25
Yesterday, we bought a ticket to NZ. That seems like a big relief. Having a definite plan. Now…who’s brain can I pick that has been to NZ? South island, that is. Apia to Auckland to Christchurch…dec 28-jan12.

This morning…a relaxing, slow morning. Sip tea, read book, feel the heat rise. Listen to the rustle of leaves, drip of brief shower rain. Time to go to PC office, make breakfast, buy food, hop on bus, bounce back to the village, go for a swim.

End of the day: I made breakfast, finished the baked beans my mom sent me, along with some bread and cheese and eggs. I watched Team America with another volunteer. It’s amazing what you can get puppets to do. Walked to the store, waited for the bus, got to the village at my school, did some yoga by the ocean, swam around the great clam protected area (faasua), drank some samoan beer with the matais, dinner and a good sleep.



10/24
From a newsweek article about the republican vice presidential candidate…The fundamental process of upward mobility has broken down…are you better off than you were four years ago?...they know not what they are. we know not what to do.
…I’m always interested when I read or hear that the upward mobility ability has broken or stopped or slowed. I believe America has always been (and always will be) a place where someone who is inventive, persistent, patient, and decisive will get to where they want to go in their journey. Even those who are in the “minority” or “at risk” label, though it may take a little more of these qualities.

Another movie: Mirrors. No happy ending. Sad. Man protecting family; digs deep; kicks butt; looks on from the other side of mirror. What a twisted ending.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home