Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Mineral's water service to the wetness


In the pictures:
1. volleyball is a way of life here, every afternoon. Makes me wonder if Samoans would be good in tournaments. A TV show I watched about Brazilian kids said the same thing. Brazilian soccer is so good because it is a way of life from a young age.
2. My toes and Safeway...toes on my right foot are still fighting the fungus. The little Safeway symbol on the GoCola can; where I started in the world of work (in the US that is;)
3. A view of the bay. You can see the waves breaking on the reef and the rock I'd like to sit on waaaay out on the point, but it might take a while to get out there.

1/19
Fast fact from the TV (courtesy BBC WorldNews): much mineral water from Italy goes to US, where it’s now a $15billion industry.
$15billion dollars, I can’t even start to imagine how much money that is. A lot.

I feel like I’m not doing much in the way of service. I’m treated very well, meaning most things are done for me: making food, washing clothes, even the locked box: I wanted to help build with my Samoan father. Because I live with a family, and have nothing in our house that locks, the PC Country Director wanted me to have a box that locks. I went looking for such a box with one of the staff, and it turns out that such a box is hard to find (as with many other things). We found a box that Blue Bird Lumber ships their glass in. I thought it was OK—but needed to be assembled—add hinges and a lock. I ended up taking it home and my father (lo’u tama) took one look at it and said “no good”. The wood is thin fiberboard. My father brought out some heavier wood, and I hear him making it now. I tried to help (fesoasoani), but he said “go read a book” in good English. I know it’s early in my service, and people have said it will take a year (good god that’s a long time) to figure out my place and lock the pieces in. It takes so much to effectively transfer skill. So I guess all systems need to be on “take it easy” mode (faifai lemu)…and calm the little hamster that wants to spin the cage round and round…the type A personality needs to sleep, leave the room, chill out, find his inner B. and my toe needs to heal because it’s really getting irritating. Speaking of wet…

The wetness seeps everywhere (timu tele aso uma). Much rain everyday, rain much every day (literal translation). It’s interesting how the sentence structure is in Samoa.

I’m listening to some Medeski, Martin & Wood (courtesy of Eric;), with some sweet string bass, reminds of an old girl friend (uo) who loved string bass. I hope she’s doing her thing.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home