Wednesday, January 02, 2008

translations #1

Translation. Andrew.water
I’ve been having my (Samoan) sister and father help me translate some things into Samoan—things that help explain what I’m feeling. I’m going to start posting them here. I’ve found that typing things helps me learn them. Here is the first one. Thank you to Vila and Tuala

Some people ask me why I like to be near the ocean so much.
Fai mai isi tagata pe aisea out e fiafia tele ai e nofo latalata i le vasa i sami, vai.

Water is something that really revives my spirit and keeps me strong.
O le vai o se tasi lea o faamalosiau i lou agaga ina ia malosi.

It is something that inspires me to write poetry.
O se faaosoina au ina ia ou tusiaina ni solo.

The water, especially big crashing waves or falling water helps calm me.
O le vai, faapitoa lava i galu telele poo le afu e fesoasoani e faafilemu ai au.

I also remember Andrew when I’m close to water.
Ou te manatua ai foi Aneterea pe’a ou latalata i le vai.

After he committed suicide in 1999, we cremated him and sprinkled his ashes in a river.
Ina ua uma ona pule i lona ola i le 1999, na matou susunuina ia ma ave lona lefulefu ma lulu i le vai.

I miss him a lot.
Ua ou misia lava ia.

I hope he is peaceful.
Ou te talitonu o loo moe filemu.





Translation. Volleyball. Yoga
I am not happy when people hurt.
Ou te le fiafia I tagata ae tigaina.

My back and shoulders hurt a lot from the activities I do (running, swimming, ultimate Frisbee, biking).
Sa tiga lou tua ma lou tauau i au gaoioiga sa fai (tamoe, aau, faatifa, tietie uila).

To keep me feeling strong, I do some stretching everyday.
E masani ona ou faaloaloa i also uma, e maua ai se faalogona malosi.

It is a system of stretching called yoga.
O se faamalositino poo le faaloaloa.

It has really helped me.
E fesoasoani tele ia te au.

The world’s best athletes do yoga to help them win, for rugby, volleyball, soccer.
O tagata lauiloa i le lalolagi afeleti e faia le faamalositino e fesoasoani latou manumalo, lakapi, voli, soka.

I want to teach you some yoga if you want to learn.
Ou te manao e aoao atu sina faamalositino pe a e manao ai.

It’s up to you.
O oe lava.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home