Saturday, December 22, 2007

Dori's blurry ride into the sun


times up..one hour on the internet..


12/21
I saw a boy named Dori this morning riding his cousin’s bike. I had my camera so I took his picture. He flashed a symbol (gang?). I asked him where he learned how to do that. He watched a movie (sa ou mata mata I le movie) called “you got served”…a dancing movie I guess. Maybe I can watch it. Movies with dancing seem to be big here. I wonder how Dirty Dancing Havana Nights would go over. I read last night in one of our training manuals that humans love to imitate (it was talking about how war starts, from a dissertation about Samoa). I am witnessing the imitation first hand. I just wish there was something more positive to imitate. Little kids run around with plastic guns in Apia. I know kids who got shot in America for pretending to fire at a police officer.

My family; my family; lo’u aiga…hmm…I’m overwhelmed by the hospitality, and their trying to make me feel at home. They rock! One morning my mom (Sofa’i) left some runny egg yolk on her plate…I scooped it up with some bread, and tried to explain in broken Samoan that I really liked to eat the runny yellow egg part. This morning there was a plate of fried eggs with runny egg yokes;)

A few nights ago we had whole fish for dinner. I tried one, but there were just too many bones for me. I guess I’m spoiled by the cod and salmon filets I’m used to getting in Boston and Astoria,OR. I’m really missing my home in American right now. So last night we had fried fish (among other things)—and my dad (Tuala) told me my sister (Sepa) had deboned the fish—to leave just the flesh…yummy.

Today I brought out my digital camera to take pictures of my family. Poka seemed very interested. I some pictures of my room area and views of our fale and bay/ocean. Then I gave it to Poka to get some good pictures. Laughter ensued. Across cultures, seeing one’s picture creates smiles and laughter. Some of the pictures should appear here. I showed Poka how to take a picture, zoom in and out, and view the pictures that are taken. I learned that a blurry picture is pu’eata nenefu (picture blurry). Tuala asked if I could put pictures on the TV to look at…hmm…sounds like a good project to try; pictures, speech, music, Windows MovieMaker…I wonder if the computer lab computers have DVD burners in them.

I’ve met 11 people in my village (a few are from surrounding villages). Maria and Sara work at one of the village stores (fale’aloa). Maria owns the store, likes to fish in the boat, but needs a young strong man to row her out. Sara used to be the Pule (Principal) at A’ana Secondary School. (not sure where that is). Petivia is a teacher at Lefaga Primary School. He was over for dinner one day. One thing I think I will really like is meeting all sorts of interesting people coming through our house. Junior(Jay?) is a fisherman, drummer, studying english at National University of Samoa; he has lived in New Zealand for most of his life. I met Asiasiga at Maria’s store; he lives a little down the road from me. Lorenzo is 19, works at a fabric shop in Apia, and likes to watch the bingo from across the road. Dori is 15, likes riding a bike, and flashes gang symbols he sees on American movies. Tulu’i has a baby, has completed four Scientology courses, and gave a good speech at the closing ceremony of the scientology activities in Samoa. Joli lives next door; works at the Robert Stevenson Luis Museum as a guide, and wants to learn French and Japanese—because those are the languages that in his tour groups speak.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home