Saturday, November 14, 2009

challenging computer topics requires flexibility






in the pics: I like the pic of walking to church..nice sun; waterfalls; western union come to kua; and the group pic of boys during the last work day.

11/11
My leave date is set. I’m trying to figure out what to take home and what to give to people. I don’t plan to take much home. Some things that are important to me: journals, pictures, my bike’s bar ends and pedals. I’m kind of attached to them. It’s also getting down I don’t have that much money.

What is asked (of PC volunteers):
1) flexibility…when schedules change without your knowing; program. What program?
2) patience…for the waiting when a student REALLY gets “it.”
3) tolerance for ambiguity…not knowing until the day of
4) humor…laughing at yourself even when you want to throw something.
5) ability to stick it out…when the last three days were really sucky, and you still get out of bed for your morning walk.

The BIG computer test for my year 12 students is tomorrow. One more review paper, stressing questions I had in my notes as “difficult” and “problem” areas. I hope they do well.



11/10
I slept from about 4pm to 7pm toady. So it was dark when I woke up. The sky was clear at least enough to see a bit of the star circus in the sky. So I did a short workout/running/pushups on the rugby field. (two) storms on both sides…one over the ocean and the other over the mountains throw occasional lightning my way. Finishing with a headstand and a sweaty body. Tis good.

I think my laptop (and MP3 player) are showing signs of “wear” from the heat. The mouse touch pad is not working anymore on my laptop. So I plugged in the external mouse—even that is not working. Next step, rebuild the computer…Takes a long time. But good thing to do if I’m going to give it to my samoan family when I leave.

Movie: Michael Jackson: this is it
• MJ is an interesting person. The movie showed the cleaner points. I go the feeling he may have been rude to people he worked with. Why is it that rich people need a “handler???”
• Love lives forever…I agree. Even if you’re not with that person physically.
• “MJ taps a deeper level of emotion. I’ve never seen.” I can feel that in his music.
• Uses pure words.
• He seemed tired—(in pain??) at some points in the movie. I hope he’s better now, wherever he is.

Many computer terms/concepts remain a challenge for my students. A few
1. describing the advantage of a software program 2. word processor (no word in Samoan for describing “process”…edit, format, document, function, font, explaining relative/absolute cell references, pixel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home