Thursday, October 22, 2009

Firefox woes finds alone time at a school

in the pics: the famous PC office oven, after the remodel (not to fear, we have a microwave and toaster oven now); three pics of my family at the school. The vice principal's family stayed there..well, last term any way. They haven't been back living at the school for the third term. I think they went to Australia--and doesn't want to tell people. Why is it bad(?) to have a secrect in Samoa?
9/28
Tonight is the first night I’m staying at the school building all by myself. The vice principal has not returned from …? I don’t really know where he went. I’ve heard he is sick and I’ve heard he went to Australia. It’s nice and quiet: leaves rustling, birds chirping, distant waves crashing—and…making dinner. The first time I have made dinner all by myself. I started at 6:30pm, and was eating at 9pm. Hmmmm..i don’t know if I want to do that again. The fire took a long time to start. Smolder smolder smolder…and then poof! A large flame. Well, large for my one small pot, but it sure was good chicken, lau pele (samoan spinach), and rice. Ohhhh I had some soy sauce and chili sauce to add some flavor. Maybe dinner will be faster (that sounds so American) next time. Making dinner on the open fire under the moon and stars.



9/27
I’m going through my old notebooks…and find an interesting myth/fact??? Spiders with even number of legs (4,6,8) are good luck. Odd numbers of legs are bad luck.

I like to have extra things, just be prepared for (I hope) anything. Samoans like to have not extras, to not be prepared. I think that may be part of the culture. If you need something, you ask someone else. I can see how that would lead to not wanting to get anything special, or acquire a lot of “stuff”. I think it was a shock when I first got to samoa to see the inside of the ‘palagi’ houses—very bare, not much furniture, if any.



9/18
I went on a "Senior Sneak Day" down the coast with First Lutheran people on a very uncomfortable school bus---- My rear end was sore from sitting on the bus, nonstop, from Tillamook to Astoria. When I finally was home, I mowed the lawn and worked outside to feel better.
…that’s my mom..i think we’re alike in that way…do something physical to feel better.

FireFox internet…problems with posting blogs. Don’t know how to download attachments from hotmail.

The internet is so awesome. My samoan father told me that my mom is concerned about having a stroke. She is a VERY big woman. I looked on the internet and found an English-samoan document about basics of stroke and prevention. So cool.
Direct link to samoan version plus other languages if you want it:
http://www.stroke.org.nz/pdfs/translations/




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home