Friday, July 03, 2009

nothing evolves us like love,...and hot rocks

no pics this time...

6/20
So I tried to go to a Samoan wedding today. One of our teachers was getting married. Another example of “don’t get your hopes up” in samoa. The taxi left without me. so much for their pictures. Maybe it’s better, because today is a very wet day. I hope the rain stops to I can ride my bike to the hike later.

The movies shown on TV always seems to have a monster of some type involved. I’ve seen a lot of water monsters. Today we are camping with a baby Bigfoot. I wonder where the mommy Bigfoot is. Well, the last few paragraphs were a little down huh?? To balance things out a little-after missing the wedding I had a yummy sandwich with egg and tomato, cucumber, lettuce, and sliced meat. Then my friend Olsen took a group of us on a hike (a trek, and jungle adventure deep into the green, where the wild things are). ..up the 7 waterfalls. We got the big waterfall at the end, I climbed up behind the fall. Falling water is very powerful, and LOUD! I jumped in the water fall. Slam. Into the water I went. I came up and threw my head back and laughed at God. That was awesome. I did it two more times.

So now you are caught up in my journal. I have no more to tell you.


Blog 06/18/09


It’s been a long time since the last writing (or I just haven’t typed up my thoughts I already wrote down). Sorry to those who track these pages.

I just finished reading a book called “the gift” by Hafiz. Some nice poems. A few pieces I really liked:

“nothing evolves us like love.”

“There is nothing in your mind
You have not invited in.
There is no event in your life
You in some way
Did not drive a hard bargain for.”

“You need to become a pen
In the sun’s hand.
We need for the earth to sing
Through our pores and eyes.”

Well…I like the poems.

Watching a DVD called Exploration northwest (even when the picture skips and the sound slurs—bad computer!!) makes my eyes water and my longing to be home …become very big. I found it in the peace corps office. Someone else from that neck of the USA had been to the office and forgot to take it home. But i had to stop watching. The other teachers wanted to watch a Pilipino movie…I’m not so into that, but it’s the current rage in Samoa. And speaking of DVDs…the dvd player on my laptop decided to stop working last night, so I (probably accidentally) uninstalled the drivers…and now I have find some internet to find the drivers, because for some reason I either deleted them from my harddrive, or put them somewhere I can’t find them. since I choose not to have internet at my school (or there seemed to be a problem with finding our schools landline number when I went to the samoaTel office) it will take a bit longer than I’m used to. And NO, I’m not used to not having fast internet at my finger tips when I want it.

One of the teachers is getting married! And I’ve been helping him create an invitation. I think that would be a great lesson for the teachers. It uses many features (and more advanced ones) in MS Word that are good to know.

Tonight is a rainy windy night, and the millipedes are out by the 10s probably many more I don’t see. But where there is rain and millipedes, there are usually centipedes—the bigger, more vicious brother that also likes to bite people. I have not been bitten yet, and I would rather not try for a first time.

So here I sit this night listening to some piano music, that is not remixed with the “DJ OK” bumping the beats. But my friend Norman is mixing his own beats under the DJ Norvia a mix of his name and the girl. Maybe if I come back in 10 years, he’ll be the big name in Samoa. Oh, and I’m eating my sour neon gummy worms my mom sent me, or I was eating them. I gave the rest to the teachers that live at the school…since they seem to like sweet things…but maybe not sour things. Oh well. If I ate the whole package by myself all my teeth would fall out the next day.

Here is some Samoan language, since I still do want to learn some more samoan before I leave, which is growing closer and closer…and closer and closer. The first one is for my cheeky students, and the ones who know I won’t hit them so they push all the boundaries.

There is a time to have fun and a time to work hard.
E iai le taimi e fiafia aia ma le taimi e galue malosi ai.

Hot rocks on my back make the muscles feel good.
E lelei maso o lo’u tua pe a tu’u i ai se ma’a vevela.

And here is a samoan prayer…of which I do not have memorized. Leaga tele huh??? Though my samoan family still asks me to say prayer.

Faafetai Iesu ona o mea ai ua e foa’I e tausi ai lou matou ola, fa’apaia ma e fa’amanuia fai ma fa’amanatuga o lou maliu I aso uma matou te a’ai ma feinu ai. Ona o lou suafa Iesu, Amene

I made a list of what I want to do in the first few weeks when I get back to America. Is it too soon for that:?? Here are a few: read the sun magazine, eat a good Mexican meal (who song and larry’s, or a place called Mazatlan), eat some Finnish fruit soup with rice porridge, take a nice hot sauna—and then eat a big bowl of chocolate chip ice cream, hike/run on Indian Head Trail, get a big hug from my mom and grandparents, play my drumset, plan a yoga retreat, visit my dad, eat a big green salad with lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, maybe some salmon, etc… the list isn’t done yet.

It’s amazing how effective “wall sits” are at redirecting students’ attention. When they are cheeky, talking when another student is speaking, 3 minutes seems to be a magic number. Wall sit = sit with your back against the wall. Thighs are parallel with the ground. Hurts the muscles, but it works to ave’ese the cheeky. I usually give them 1 or 2 chances to answer questions or read something in class after that.

My friend Norman was explaining to me about hitting students. “if you hit a student, that does not motivate them to keep trying.” I have hope for future teachers. But change comes slowly.

Sii I luga lou lima pe a e alofa i ou matua.
Raise your hand if you love your parents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home