Friday, July 03, 2009

4 people find curious question of the day

in the pics: my samoan family!! ice cream ( it was banana flavor i think), sunday eating (toanai), and pre-mother's day church dress..


5/20
I’m visiting American samoa. ..staying with a samoan family. Not in a hotel. Well, I didn’t think I needed a break.

Awesome sunrise in American Samoa. …
Finally the first leg in the postcard journey is done. I mailed them today. It has been a long process—from take the picture, to gluing the poster paper to the photo, to writing the notes to people. Altogether I’m mailing 50 to the USA and 7 postcards to Finland.
Mexican food at Evie’ss Taco Hut. Yummy. Yummy. And some more yummy. I ate the Jumbo California Burrito—it had French fries in it, the same way I make burgers, with fries inside. It was good eating. I might come again.

Saw on a sign:
There are 4 kinds of people:
1. Those who make things happen
2. Those who watch things happen
3. Those who tell others what happened
4. Those who make up what happened.

I had 4 different people ask me “why do you want to go to American samoa?” usually people visit to buy things, or if they family to see. I did buy some stuff. …about $400 worth of gifts for my samoan families. Don’t worry, there were a few things for me. it’s amazing what you can find at a hardware store. I found sweet full finger “biking” gloves, and a set of tools, including the needle nose pliers I’ve been looking for.
A few things I found: blank DVDs, a new handbag for my principal, compact mirrors for the teachers, chocolate, new headphones, colored pencils. Things I did not find: orange tinted goggles, a very small projector for the computer.
Tuesday, I went to look around town. Wednesday I went on an awesome!!!hike up Mt. Alava, then a swim and I saw 5 blue star fish. Thursday I hopped on a bus to the eastern most point on the island. Bus stops for a rest, stops to get the stereo fixed. The important things.

I’m still amazed at how much is determined in a student’s life by how fast they can write. Many of the students in my school who write slower are in the lower level classes. Those who can write fast are in the upper level classes..



5/19
Curious question of the day: take a 50sene piece and spin it on the table. Why do I only see the picture of bananas while it is spinning?
I always meet interesting people. At the airport in samoa I met a man named Lemi. He had lived in Colorado springs for 5 years.
Leaving Western Samoa in the SMALL plane, the tallest structure I see in Apia is the Catholic church. Speaking of the airplane—it has two “inoperable” signs on the control panel in the cockpit. But we still got there in one piece.
I was talking to our Peace Corps medical officer. She said people in American Samoa speak American, not English.
American Coins seem SOooo small compared to samoan money now.
My host family insists I go to town every day or “you might be bored”
They showed me to my room “this is your private room”…hmmm….private. sounds American.
I was looking for signs of America: seat belts required when riding in a car, a cheese burger at AS airport.
The family I went to stay with didn’t know I was going to stay with them for 5 days. The family member was talking to didn’t tell them. made for an uncomfortable experience. Let’s not do it again.
There are more cars, newer cars. All things that glitter.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home