Sunday, August 03, 2008

Jesus's pink octopus

in the pics: two pictures from Savaii, during the rain. Fabulous beautiful and intelligent! says the red shirt...I was at my training village's family.

6/1
I guess eating octopus (fe’efe’e) is not in my future. I tried some today and got one little piece down my throat. Warning sign when it felt rubbery and tough when I cut a small piece with a spoon.

The house where I live (when school is not in session) is getting a transformation form fale Samoa (pillars and nice breeze) to fale palagi (cinder blocks/cement, doors, eventually windows. I’m sad. I really liked the cool breeze that blew through my “room.” My Samoan father says I’ll have a room with a door that locks. I was only really bothered when I wanted to get dressed after a shower and changing my clothes, but I’m with family and I’m sure they’ve already seen everything there is to see. It’s too much stress worrying about that. I didn’t come to Samoa for stress.

I finished another book: Siddhartha (forgot who the author is). A thought provoking book. Some provoking thoughts:
“making a good impression on strange people”
“secret of those people to whom success comes by itself”
“seem indifferent about business”
“he heard much and said little” hmmmm…like me in samoa…listen much, say little.
“to see the high and low”
“instead of only being there as an onlooker”
“ordinary people can love”
“depth of their pleasures and sorrows”
“soul sickness of the rich”
“without teachers and doctrines”
“you have already learned from the river that it is good to strive downwards, to sink, to seek the depths”
“seeking means: to have a goal; but finding means: to be free to be receptive, to have no goal”
“and yet it also pleases me and seems right, that what is of value and wisdom to one man seems nonsense to another”

…and now it’s a movie…


5/27
My pink Jesus chews bubble gum
I visited Max for five days during the first school holiday—between fist and second term. (sorry this is not in chronological order. This was getting buried in my pile of papers on my desk.) Max (Masi) lives on the other “large” Samoan island of Savaii. Well, it’s bigger than Upolu anyway. More of the same. FAle Samoan, fale Palagi, and the pink Jesus church. We went walking at night and I saw a church with a large cross built into the front of the church. …lit up with a neon pink color. It might hav been white lights and pink glass. I’m not sure, but it was such a bold statement in the darkness.

It rained most of the time, but it was decent part of the time. We went on a nice walk up the road, that led up the mountain, up to the plantations. I found some strange blue berries(?). checked out Max’s computer lab. Nice network. Had a yummy lunch of toasted cheese tuna and cucumber sandwiches with chicken soup and French fries. Ate the sour stuff off the cocoa in the cocoa pods. Maybe next time weather will be nicer.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home