Saturday, March 01, 2008

Green sour smack down goes fishing


pics: malala drinking some yummy milk, green sour things, fishing instruments..


2/22
Today was a big smack down day. One of the students that stays after school during the night to make dinner and help the teachers who stay at the school building was found lying about using the principal’s cell phone. The principal had a good sized swatting stick in her hand, and she knew how to use it. I just wonder how much swatting before spirits break.


2/19 green sour candy's pic
things I asked my mom to send me (mealofa ma lo'u tina i amerika)...mmm the latest package arried from the PC--4 packages of green sour things, 2 pillow cases with Finnish writing on them, a power adapter, 2 Sun Magazines (good reading), 2 bags of rubber bands, foot fungus killer, a finnish news paper, news form home (large storm, LNG) and a valentine's day card--make that two--I got one from grandma and grandpa too.

Being a beginner. my students are total beginners. I'm still backing up up up up..right now we are learning how to use the shift key to make capital letters--or should I say I assumed they already know how to do that. I'm surprised everyday--how much computer knowledge is ingrained into me and pulling it out can sometimes be hard.

I've had the first quizzes--and collected the books; very interesting to see what gets into their book--ONLY what i write down or have on a diagram. one student had "computer stutles" instead of computer studies..we have a lot of work to do. Lefaga Secondary school is where all the kids go who didn't get top scores and go to the city (apia).
I mentioned that if they have good typing skills, it would be easier to find a job. only one person answered that correctly on the quiz. The Finnish language has a lot of long words and names. I hadn't seen any long words or names in Samoan until: Lauiulaaepouitoalefalenaiamoa...a woman's name.


2/17 fishing pic
It's 11pm Sunday evening and i feel like crap (lots of yummy green stuff coming out of my nose) so this may be short. yes, i did get this yucky bug form my weekend adventures of pao pao and spear fishing in the ocean.

Friday i was swimming in the bay inspecting giant clams with my (Samoan) dad. some are more than 10 years old. The fisheries dept help set it up. one was dead--we wondered why. sun sets over flashy, silvery, blue, gold, orange reflection of water. i also saw a whole pile of rocks stuck together with some cement and a cinder block with wire and cement--to simulate coral and try to regrow it--a lot of coral loss=a lot of fish and other sea life bye bye. ..had a second dinner with visitors from Australia.

Saturday was my first paopao experience. Paopao is a SAmoan CAnoe--with a stabilizer bar running along side. i don't know the technical term for them. I went to stay with the science teacher's family across the bay at a village called Matafa'a. Very pretty, very small, very isolated--only one small store. maybe 150 people. we rowed over very shallow water--close to the coral, but never touched it. Met family, and then rowed out past the reef to the open ocean., but still close to the shore. I got to try my hand at spear fishing (fagota) with a spear that you shoot. one small fish later I was done. I used a snorkel mask, but the fins the other fisherman had were too big. Being in the water is so cool. I see many shiny flashes of fish and feel the sway of the current. The ocean bed slopes gently down for a little ways, and then drops drops drops, into dark blue nothingness...I didn't go out that far. i dined on crab, lobster, and boiled bananas for dinner. I guess the people in Matafa'a are THE fisherman that other villages come to for fish. Matafa'a is isolated on the side of a mountain, but no so isolated that they don't have power, stereos, or TV--"crouch, touch, pause, engage" I should have that rugby mantra engrained in my brain by the time I leave samoa.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home